"From Our Hearts to Yours" Records
Scope and Contents
- 1994-2021, bulk 2005-2019
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
For the next fifteen years, a From Our Hearts to Yours program was held at least once a year. The lunch-n-learn events were as follows:
• “From Our Hearts to Yours” lunch-and-learn: Held at UNC-W’s Warwick Center Ballroom on February 14, 2006, with B. Waine Kong, CEO of the Association of Black Cardiologists, as the keynote speaker. Dean Virginia Adams of the UNC-W School of Nursing moderated a panel discussion on health care strategies for women.
• “A Minute for Your Health” lunch-n-learn: Held at the Wilmington Riverside Hilton on February 14, 2007. Dr. Stephanie Kong, author of “A Minute for Your Health” provided an address. The NHCCA decided to enlist the help of local women to be "Healthy Heart Poster Girls". The concept followed the model of the Go Red poster models with the American Heart Association.
• “Climbing the Ladder to Good Health”: Held at the UNC-W Warwick Center Ballroom in 2008. The keynote speaker was Dr. Brenda Armstrong, Associate Director of Pediatrics and Pediatric Cardiology at Duke University Medical Center.
• “Heart Disease Doesn’t Care What You Wear”: Held in the Warwick Center Ballroom in 2009, with the keynote speaker being Dr. William Joyner.
• “Motherhood, Mentoring and Medicine; Lessons from the Trenches”: Held at UNC-W in 2011 with Dr. Brenda Armstrong returning as keynote speaker.
• “Women, Stress, and Cardiovascular Disease”: Held at the UNC-W Warwick Ballroom in 2012. Anganette Young, CEO of the New Hanover Community Health Center, gave the keynote address.
Other events include the “Bless Her Heart” Sundays, launching in 2008 when the NHCCA made a public plea for houses of worship to encourage members to wear red, showing solidarity for the fight against cardiovascular disease. Religious leaders were also encouraged to incorporate heart disease awareness and the need for women to maintain their health into their sermons. In 2008, the Wilmington NC Chapter of The Links, Incorporated worshiped together at Union Missionary Baptist Church on February 10, 2008 as a show of solidarity in fighting cardiovascular disease. With the help of the Wilmington Journal, Bless Her Heart Sunday was promoted for many years during the life of this initiative. In 2010, NHCCA management decided to forgo the annual lunch-n-learn event, instead partnering with St. Stephen A.M.E. Church to sponsor a jazz, orchestral, and gospel music concert. This concert, called “Heart Strings, Music for the Soul,” was held on February 07, 2010. In 2007, Cynthia Brown, Executive Director of NHCCA, received the General Mills Corporation's Sisters Saving Hearts award for her work educating the public about heart health.
8.67 Linear Feet (Contains 2 document boxes, 1 poster tube, 2 oversize folders)
- "From Our Hearts to Yours" Records
- Caroline Waller
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description