Scope and Contents
This collection contains papers, artifacts, and media related to the establishment and day-to-day operations of St. John’s Art Gallery. It emphasizes exhibits by providing insight into the world of art and curation techniques at the time. Moreover, the collection follows the remodel of St. John’s as they attempted to expand and play host to larger exhibits. This collection includes by-laws, consignment forms, reports, planners, press releases, brochures, correspondence, architectural plans, photographs, postcards, magazines, and newspaper articles. Moreover, this collection places a particular emphasis on the career of Alan Aiches, the museum’s first director. Alan’s career can be mapped throughout the early 1970s, during the gallery's formative years, through the early 2000s. The collection highlights his involvement with exhibits, public outreach/fundraising, and the expansion and renovation of St. John’s before his resignation.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Copyright 2018 University of North Carolina at Wilmington, all rights reserved (subject to exceptions). Certain items in this collections were conveyed to UNCW without the accompanying copyright. Where the donor did not convey copyright to UNCW, copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
St. John’s Art Gallery has a long history in Wilmington, originally operating as the Wilmington Museum of Art from approximately 1938-1942. The building was given by the owner to the city of Wilmington, becoming St. John’s Art Gallery in 1962. Over the next twenty years, the museum expanded and built a collection of works by local and regional artists. In the early 1980s, St. John’s expanded, gaining the former St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and the Cowan House. The museum’s first director, Alan Aiches, was instrumental in helping the museum achieve accreditation in the national American Association of Museums and helping the museum to launch numerous exhibitions. The museum eventually outgrew its downtown location and relocated in 2001, changing its name to the Cameron Art Museum.
3.25 Linear Feet (Contains 3 bankers boxes and 1 map case folder)