Dr. Leroy W. Upperman Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Conditions Governing Access
In addition to his lifetime membership in the NAACP and his role as a founding member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Dr. Upperman served the community as a board member of the Community Boys and Girls Club, the Greater Wilmington Chamber of Commerce, the New Hanover County Human Relations Commission, the United Way, and the Wilmington Redevelopment Commission. Dr. Upperman was also an advocate for the funding of scholarships and activities to promote the academic achievement and heritage of African American students. Dr. Upperman married Callie Smith in 1947. He died February 20, 1996 in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Callie Smith was born February 11, 1924 in Columbus County, North Carolina. She graduated from Whiteville Negro High School (Whiteville, N.C.) in 1940. She attended nursing school at Lincoln Hospital School of Nursing (Durham, N.C.), graduating in 1944. She married Dr. Leroy W. Upperman in 1947 in Wilmington. Callie Smith Upperman died September 19, 1973 in Wilmington, North Carolina.
Leroy Wenford Upperman, Jr., was born in 1948 in Wilmington, North Carolina, to Dr. Leroy Upperman and Callie Smith Upperman. He received a bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1970 and 1973, respectively. Leroy Upperman, Jr., died January 12, 1991 in Los Angeles, California.
1.3 Linear Feet (Contains 1 document box and 1 oversized box.)
- Civil rights movements -- United States
- Community Hospital (Wilmington, NC)
- Howard University. College of Medicine
- Leroy W. Upperman African American Cultural Center
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- Wilmington
- Upperman, Callie Smith, 1924-1973
- Upperman, Leroy W., Dr. (Leroy Wenfred), 1913-1996
- Upperman, Leroy Wenford, Jr., 1948, 1991
- Dr. Leroy W. Upperman Family Papers
- Caroline Waller
- 2021 January 19
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note