Governor John W. Ellis Proclamation
Scope and Contents
A copy of a rare broadside calling the North Carolina legislature into special session was issued by Gov. John W. Ellis on April 17, 1861. The session was called as a result of Abraham Lincoln's call to arms "for the invasion of the peaceful homes of the South....." Only one original is known to exist (according to the donor) from which this copy was made.
- 1861 April 17 (photocopy)
- Ellis, John Willis, 1820-1861 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Copyright retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
1 Folder (Contains 1 folder)
This collection was donated by Steve McAllister on February 21, 1985.
Portions of this collection have been digitized and/or are born-digital. For access to these digital materials, please browse the finding aid via the "Collection Organization" tab and select an individual file or item to see if it contains a linked digital record.
- Ellis, John Willis, 1820-1861
- Legislators -- North Carolina
- North Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources
- North Carolina. Governor (1859-1861 : Ellis)
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- Politics and government -- Sources
- broadsides (notices)
- Governor John W. Ellis Proclamation
- Lana Donaldson Taylor
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note