Dr. John T. Hoggard Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains correspondence, newspaper clippings and assorted personal papers of Dr. John T. Hoggard.
- Hoggard, John Thomas, 1876-1965 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Copyright retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Dr. John T. Hoggard’s careers included business, education, medicine and politics. He had a long and illustrious career as a physician and surgeon, serving his country ably in the Spanish-American War and again in World War I. After completing his military service, Dr. Hoggard practiced medicine in Aulander, Atkinson and Wilmington, NC until he retired from the profession in 1949. During his years of professional service, he was active in medical associations at the local, state and national levels.
His major business interest was banking. Dr. Hoggard helped to organize the Morris Plan Bank of Wilmington, which later became the Bank of Wilmington. He served as vice-president of the bank for many years and was also local chairman of the board of directors of the North Carolina National Bank. Other business interests included founding and serving as president of the New Hanover Housing Corporation; founder of Toms Drug Company, a Wilmington drugstore; partner in Hoggard Brothers, Aulander, NC; and director of Cooperative Savings and Loan Association, Wilmington, NC.
Dr. Hoggard was also very active in numerous social and civic organizations. Among his affiliations were: the Wilmington Board of Finance; President of the Brigade Boys’ Club of Wilmington; Kiwanis Club; Free and Accepted Masons; Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; Cape Fear Club; Cape Fear Country Club; Woodmen of the World; American Legion; Chamber of Commerce; Wilmington Historical Society; Phi Chi; Phi Kappa Alpha; BPOE; Carolina Yacht Club; Surf Club and the Democratic Party.
His career in education began with his election as Chairman of the New Hanover County (NC) Board of Education in 1935. Dr. Hoggard served in this capacity until 1952. While Chairman, he was very instrumental in bringing about the founding of Wilmington College (NC) in 1947. Dr. Hoggard directed the operations of the College as Chairman of the New Hanover County Board of Education from 1947-1952. He assumed the Presidency of the college and the Chairmanship of the Board of Trustees in 1952.
In 1958, Dr. Hoggard retired as President but retained his position as Chairman of the Board of Trustees until his death in 1965. Under his leadership, Wilmington College grew from a small local junior college to a four-year state institution of higher education. Dr. Hoggard was active in acquiring the 610-acre tract of land on Highway 132 that became the permanent site of the college. When the state authorized Wilmington College to grant baccalaureate degrees in 1963, he actively recruited new faculty and also helped with the curriculum.
Dr. Hoggard died August 17, 1965 and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery.
Note written by Lana Donaldson Taylor
1.96 Linear Feet (Contains 1 document box and 1 oversize box)
This collection was donated by Elizabeth Harriss, daughter of Dr. Hoggard, on July 24, 1987.
Portions of this collection have been digitized and/or are born-digital. For access to these digital materials, please browse the finding aid via the "Collection Organization" tab and select an individual file or item to see if it contains a linked digital record.
Collection originally processed by Lana Donaldson Taylor in 1989. In 2014, this manuscript collection was re-foldered and re-housed with current archival standard materials by Kate Edwards.
- Dr. John T. Hoggard Papers
- Partially Processed
- Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note