Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Scope and Contents The College of William and Mary at Williamsburg, VA, suffered damage during the Civil War. Benjamin S. Ewell, then president of William and Mary, published a broadside appealing for financial aid in rebuilding the institution. Though obviously written after the Civil War, its exact date is unknown. This appeal includes endorsements for the rebuilding fund by Bishop Potter of New York, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Generals Grant and Meade, and by Wm. W. Corcoran of Washington City.
Dates: after 1865
Abstract "Easily Found" is an Advance Sheet issued by the Democratic Congressional Committee ca 1880, during the campaign for President of the United States in which James Garfield (Republican) ran against Winfield S. Hancock (Democrat).
Dates: circa 1880
Scope and Contents A copy of a rare broadside calling the North Carolina legislature into special session was issued by Gov. John W. Ellis on April 17, 1861. The session was called as a result of Abraham Lincoln's call to arms "for the invasion of the peaceful homes of the South....." Only one original is known to exist (according to the donor) from which this copy was made.
Dates: 1861 April 17 (photocopy)
Scope and Contents Broadsides and posters designed and printed by The Publishing Laboratory on the occasions of thesis readings of students from the Department of Creative Writing, readings given by visiting writers, and publications by Lookout Books including Edith Pearlman's Binocular Vision and John Rybicki's When All the Word Is Old.
Dates: 2006-2012; Other: Date acquired: 03/04/2014
Found in: University Archives
Scope and Contents As governor of Maryland, Thomas G. Pratt issued a proclamation designating Thursday, November 16, 1846, to be observed as a day of public thanksgiving in the state of Maryland. At that time, it was customary for the governor to annually assign such a day. This proclamation is dated October 8, 1846.
Dates: 1846 October 8
- Subject: broadsides (notices) X
- Randall Library Special Collections 4
- University Archives 1
- Politicians 3
- United States -- Politics and government -- Sources 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Crédit Mobilier scandal 1
- Governors--Maryland 1
- Legislators -- North Carolina 1
- Legislators -- United States 1
- North Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources 1
- Political campaigns 1
- Presidential candidates 1
- Thanksgiving Day 1
- photocopies 1 ∧ less
- Arthur, Chester Alan, 1829-1886 1
- College of William and Mary 1
- Ellis, John Willis, 1820-1861 1
- Ewell, Benjamin Stoddert, 1810-1894 1
- Garfield, James A. (James Abram), 1831-1881 1
- Hancock, Winfield Scott, 1824-1886 1
- North Carolina. Governor (1859-1861 : Ellis) 1
- Pearlman, Edith, 1936 - 1
- Pratt, Thomas George, 1804-1869 1
- Rybicki, John, 1961- 1
- United States. Congress. 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington. Department of Creative Writing 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington. Publishing Laboratory 1 ∧ less