Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Scope and Contents Cicero Yow worked as the attorney for the City of Wilmington for 25 years and served in the North Carolina senate for several terms representing the 9th district. These papers primarily contain Yow's personal and business correspondence from 1942 to 1969 and document the daily interactions of a member of Wilmington's upper middle class during the 1950s and 1960s. While much of the correspondence is comprised of invitations and acknowledgment or congratulatory letters, it nevertheless documents...
Scope and Contents The Wallace C. Murchison Papers contain personal correspdonce, financial documents, memos and programs, his political work with Senator Alton Lennon and New Hanover County polling sites, publications and correspondence regarding the Diocese of Eastern Carolina, wills and financial documents of the Diocese, publications on housing from the government and private companies, Murchison's home floor plans, and housing advertisements and handwritten specifications for additions.The North...
Scope and Contents This collection contains photocopies of issues of the Wilmington Daily Record, The Evening Dispatch, and fragments of the New York Journal around the time of and covering the Wilmington coup in 1898. The Journal makes explicit reference to the "riots" in Wilmington, gives the death toll as sixteen killed, and reprints the text of the Alex Manley editorial...
Dates: 1898 (photocopies)
Scope and Contents This collection was compiled in 1973 by Michael Glancy, to complete his Multiple Abilities Project research report entitled "The Wilmington Riot of November 10, 1898." The collection includes xerographic, microform, and photocopies of newspaper and periodical articles, letters, memoranda, resolutions, and memoirs of some of the principal participants in the November 10, 1898 racially-motivated coup d'etat of Wilmington, NC.
Dates: 1865-1936 (photocopies)
- Subject: Wilmington (N.C.) -- Race relations X
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 2
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century 2
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 2
- photocopies 2
- African American newspaper editors 1
- African American newspapers 1
- Maps -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Nonprofit organizations 1
- North Carolina -- Politics and government 1
- Politicians 1
- Religion 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- Sources 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Wrightsville Beach (N.C.) 1
- newspapers 1 ∧ less
- Butler, Marion, 1863-1938 1
- Davis, Champion McDowell 1
- Episcopal Church. Diocese of East Carolina 1
- Lennon, Alton, 1906-1986 1
- Manly, Alex 1