Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Scope and Contents This collection contains several albums of postcards, loose postcards, photographs, and two bound copies of letters and cables written by Alice Fechtig to her father during her European tour, June 6 - September 16, 1929. Many of the postcards in the collection are in color and include major European tourist attractions. Other countries included in the collection are the United States, the Caribbean islands, Russia, and Japan.
Scope and Contents Cicero Yow worked as the attorney for the City of Wilmington for 25 years and served in the North Carolina senate for several terms representing the 9th district. These papers primarily contain Yow's personal and business correspondence from 1942 to 1969 and document the daily interactions of a member of Wilmington's upper middle class during the 1950s and 1960s. While much of the correspondence is comprised of invitations and acknowledgment or congratulatory letters, it nevertheless documents...
Scope and Contents These papers contain personal correspondence between Cronly family members and letters and petitions directed to Wilmington and New Hanover County government officials. This personal correspondence falls between the years 1888 and 1907. The letters and petitions to area officials address two concerns: first, the need for reopening a county road, and second, the proposed use of property once used as the State Guard campground. A notebook is also included in this collection, containing an...
Scope and Contents This collection includes various working drafts and notes for Dr. J. Marshall Crews' book, From These Beginnings: Wilmington College, 1946-1969. This book chronicles the early development of Wilmington College, which later developed into the University of North Carolina Wilmington.
Scope and Contents This collection contains brass rubbings from various churches in England, information about those churches, and a map. Also included are publications and clippings that Mrs. Puddy acquired from various events around Wilmington, NC, such as for the Azalea Festival, a program at Thalian Hall for Riverfest, and for the Albert Schweitzer International Prizes.
Scope and Contents This collection contains various souvenir books, programs, brochures, magazines, newspaper clippings and other ephemera related to the North Carolina Azalea Festival from 1948-2004. The Azalea Festival began in 1948 at the instigation of Dr. Houston Moore of Wilmington, NC. The first president was Hugh Morton, and Queen Azalea I was Jacqueline White, a movie actress with RKO Studios. Throughout the years, the Festival has filled three to four days with art and craft shows, a parade, coronation...
Abstract Oscar Pearsall was a wholesale grocery merchant in Wilmington, North Carolina. He parterned with Benjamin Franklin Hall in 1874 and established Hall & Pearsall, a wholesale grocery and commission business. In 1906, Pearsall launched Pearsall & Company, with two of his sons, Frederick and Horace. This collection contains ledgers, correspondence, bills and shipping labels related to the two companies, as well as medical insurance certificates and related correspodence for Pearsall.
Scope and Contents This collection contains Ronald G. Phelps's personal documents, yearbooks, CDs, VHS tapes, photos, copies of published items, magazines, and newspaper clippings, largely related to Wilmington and the surrounding area's history from 1929 to 2018. Ron Phelps was active in the Wilmington community and considered a local amateur historian. A large portion of the collection focuses on New Hanover High School during Phelps's attendence and the various reunion events following his graduation in 1952....
Abstract St. Andrews-Covenant Presbyterian Church is located in Wilmington, North Carolina. The church was formed by the merging of two congregations in 1944, St. Andrews Presbyterian and The Church of the Covenant. This collection includes histocial and financial data on the church, its leaders, members and organizations.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a studio portrait of Thomas E. Cooper as a young man, two printed items, and nineteen items of correspondence. The early handwritten letters, from 1905 to 1907, are primarily from Cooper to his wife, Jane Collins, written while Cooper was working in Mullins, South Carolina. Later letters from 1925 are typewritten to his wife while Cooper was serving time in the Federal Penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia. Cooper had been charged and sentenced, along with his brother...
- Subject: Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 20th century X
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century 3
- Families -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 2
- North Carolina -- Politics and government 2
- Religion 2
- Wilmington (N.C.) 2
- correspondence 2
- Arts 1
- Authors 1
- Bank fraud 1
- Bankers -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Business enterprises -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Church Membership 1
- College sports -- United States -- History -- 20th century 1
- Education -- New Hanover County (N.C.) 1
- Festivals -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Maps -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Merchants 1
- New Hanover County (N.C.) -- History -- Sources 1
- North Carolina -- History -- Sources 1
- Political 1
- Political Campaigns -- North Carolina 1
- Presbyterian Church 1
- Rubbing 1
- Schweitzer Prizes 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- Commerce 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- Race relations 1
- Wilmington College -- History -- Sources 1
- Women in the Presbyterian Church 1
- Worship Programs 1
- Wrightsville Beach (N.C.) 1
- booklets 1
- deeds 1
- minutes (administrative documents) 1
- postcard albums 1
- postcards 1 ∧ less
- North Carolina Azalea Festival (1948-) 3
- Bingham, Mary Lily Kenan, 1867-1917 1
- Cooper, Thomas E., 1883-1949 1
- Crews, J. Marshall, 1910-2010 1
- Cronly family 1
- Cronly, Robert Dixon, Jr., 1894-1968 1
- Davis, Champion McDowell 1
- Fechtig, Alice Morriss, 1896-1971 1
- Halyburton, William David, Jr., 1924-1945 1
- Jones, Pembroke, 1858-1919 1
- Mount Pisgah Baptist Church (Supply, N.C.) 1
- New Hanover High School (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- North Carolina. Governor (1925-1929 : McLean) 1
- Pearsall, Oscar, 1849-1925 1
- Phelps, Ronald G. (Ronald Guyton), 1932-2018 1
- Presbyterian Women (Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)) 1
- Sprunt, James, 1846-1924 1
- St. Andrews-Covenant Presbyterian Church (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- Thalian Hall (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- United States. Navy 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington 1
- Wilmington College 1
- Yow, Cicero Preston, 1914-1990 1
- Yow, Elizabeth Hardwicke, 1922-1992 1 ∧ less