Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Scope and Contents This collection contains correspondence and documents by and about Civil War General Robert E. Lee, his wife Mary Custis Lee, his nephew Fitzhugh Lee, and additional Civil War contemporaries. Content varies from updates on medical care to military requests for promotions and reimbursements. It spans from the height of the war in 1863 to post-Reconstruction in 1885, and largely originates to and from Virginia, of where Robert E. Lee was in command. A selection of the letters focuses on his...
Scope and Contents This collection consists entirely of photocopies of pages from a journal or school exercise book kept by Miss Ellen Douglas Bellamy during the Civil War. Some time later, possibly in the 1870s, the journal was used as a scrapbook and printed clippings were pasted over the handwritten text. The collection includes copies of pages both before and after clippings were stripped away.The later clippings are primarily selections from popular magazines and are characteristic of sentimental...
Dates: 1861-1863 (photocopies)
Scope and Contents This collection contains a log of telegraphs sent from Smithville (Southport), Fort Caswell, and Wilmington, North Carolina from January 1863 through May 1863. These telegraphs reveal food shortages, lack of supplies, and war updates involving the Confederacy, primarily in these three North Carolina forts. Battles were not being fought at these forts during these dates, but it is possible to understand from this document what conditions were like and how the armies responded to successes and...
Dates: 1863 January-May
Scope and Contents This collection contains the biographies of two prominent Wilmingtonians, General William MacRae and Colonel Walker Taylor. Both items are photocopies of the original. MacRae served with the Confederacy in the Civil War and worked as a civil engineer for the Macon and Brunswick Railroad. Taylor served as a community and civic leader, and in 1913, President Woodrow Wilson named him the U.S. Collector of Customs for the Wilmington Port.
Scope and Contents This collection includes correspondence, ephemera, periodicals and advertisments, and miscellaneous genealogical documents. Of significance in this collection are two documents relating to the end of the Civil War and the Confederacy, including an Oath of Loyalty to the Union and a President's Warrant of Pardon for Mary M. Jones.
Scope and Contents This collection consists of three letters between George Denison Prentice and Roger Weightman Hanson; two letters are written by George D. Prentice and one by Roger W. Hanson. These letters encompass a very brief look at opinions and the animosity between rivals of the Civil War. They mention drunkards, Island No. 10, Col. I. Dimick, Fort Warren, and Clarence Prentice (son of George who fought as a Lieutant Colonel for the Confederacy). Also briefly mentioned are General Buckner, Commander...
Dates: 1862 (typed copies)
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources X
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- Sources 2
- Confederate States of America -- History -- Sources 1
- Fort Caswell (N.C.) 1
- Medicine -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Railroads -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 1
- Telegraph 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- correspondence 1
- photocopies 1
- typescripts 1 ∧ less
- Bellamy, Ellen Douglas, 1852-1946 1
- Bemiss, S. M. (Samuel Merrifield), 1821-1884 1
- Block, Susan Taylor, 1951- 1
- Boys' Brigade 1
- Clark, James L., Captain (James Louis), 1840-1910 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Kentucky Infantry Regiment, 2nd 1
- Hanson, Roger Weightman, 1827-1863 1
- Lee, Fitzhugh, 1835-1905 1
- Lee, Mary Randolph Custis, 1807-1873 1
- Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870 1
- MacRae, William, 1834-1882 1
- Macon and Brunswick Railroad Company 1
- Prentice, George D. (George Denison), 1802-1870 1
- Seddon, James A. (James Alexander), 1815-1880 1
- Stuart, Jeb, 1833-1864 1
- Walker, Taylor, 1864-1937 1
- Washington National Monument Society 1
- Wilson, Woodrow, 1856-1924 1 ∧ less