Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Scope and Contents This collection contains a published statement that compares expenditures in North Carolina under Republican and Democratic control for each Fiscal Year beginning 1868, ending Sept. 30, 1880.
Dates: circa 1880
Scope and Contents This collection contains the papers of Congressman Alton Lennon during his tenure as U.S. Representative for North Carolina's 7th congressional district from 1957-1972. Included in the collection is correspondence, reports, and other documents related to legislation, district affairs, and politics during the time. Also included are three large scrapbooks documenting news coverage from Congressman Lennon's career and campaigns.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of twenty scrapbook albums containing letters, documents, news articles, awards, photos, advertisements, and brochures spanning sixty-seven years. Mr. Schwartz held many local and state offices, including State Representative, State Senator, and Mayor of Wilmington. He was involved in all facets of life in New Hanover County, donating his time to numerous philanthropic and educational organizations, including as Trustee of University of North Carolina at Wilmington....
Scope and Contents Cicero Yow worked as the attorney for the City of Wilmington for 25 years and served in the North Carolina senate for several terms representing the 9th district. These papers primarily contain Yow's personal and business correspondence from 1942 to 1969 and document the daily interactions of a member of Wilmington's upper middle class during the 1950s and 1960s. While much of the correspondence is comprised of invitations and acknowledgment or congratulatory letters, it nevertheless documents...
Scope and Contents These papers contain personal correspondence between Cronly family members and letters and petitions directed to Wilmington and New Hanover County government officials. This personal correspondence falls between the years 1888 and 1907. The letters and petitions to area officials address two concerns: first, the need for reopening a county road, and second, the proposed use of property once used as the State Guard campground. A notebook is also included in this collection, containing an...
Scope and Contents This collection features papers, photographs, and memorabillia belonging to Don Betz, who served as mayor of Wilmington, North Carolina from 1987 to 1997. Betz's appointment books and correspondence from throughout his tenure, as both a city council member and later mayor, depict both his day-to-day duties and important local issues he discussed with officials and legislators at the state and national level. His campaign work, service outside the council, and involvement in local, national, and...
Scope and Contents This collections contains the legislative papers of North Carolina State Senator John J. Burney, Jr. Senator Burney represented New Hanover County from 1966-1972. The legislative papers consist primarily of correspondence, bills, publications, printed materials and newspaper clippings, covering a broad spectrum of social, economic and political issues during his time in office. Topics include taxation, environmentalism, transportation and infrastructure, Wilmington College (now UNCW), and water...
Dates: 1960 - 1972
Overview Congressman Mike McIntyre served as the Representative for North Carolina's 7th Congressional district from 1997 to 2015. McIntyre's Congressional collection consists of papers and memorabilia accrued during his time in office and represents issues important to the district and his interactions as a Congressman. The collections consists of 111 linear feet of papers and approximately 700 artifacts.
Scope and Contents The collection includes remarks of Alton A. Lennon of North Carolina in the U.S. Senate, requesting approval for an article from The Star News to be reprinted in The Congressional Record, Saturday, August 7, 1954. The article relates the origin of a salute to our flag with hand over heart first used by Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach resident Elizabeth Cantwell. Mrs. Cantwell describes how this idea germinated and its effect on others. Also included is a brief history of her husband's career as a...
Dates: 1954, 1968, undated
- Subject: North Carolina -- Politics and government X
- Politicians 6
- United States -- Politics and government -- Sources 5
- Wilmington (N.C.) 3
- Political 2
- Political Campaigns -- North Carolina 2
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 20th century 2
- Expenditures, Public 1
- Families -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Flags -- United States -- History 1
- Legislators -- North Carolina 1
- Legislators -- United States 1
- Maps -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- New Hanover County (N.C.) 1
- Universities and colleges -- Administration 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- Race relations 1
- Wrightsville Beach (N.C.) 1
- correspondence 1
- flags 1 ∧ less
- Lennon, Alton, 1906-1986 2
- Betz, Donald H. (Donald Henry) 1
- Burney, John Jay, Jr., 1924-2010 1
- Cantwell, Robert Calder, 1886-1961 1
- Cronly family 1
- Cronly, Robert Dixon, Jr., 1894-1968 1
- Davis, Champion McDowell 1
- Democratic National Convention 1
- Democratic Party (N.C.) 1
- Democratic Party (U.S.) 1
- McIntyre, Mike, 1956- 1
- North Carolina General Assemby 1
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 1
- Schwartz, B. D. (Benjamin David), 1909-2001 1
- United States. Congress. 1
- United States. Congress. House. 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington 1
- Wilmington College 1
- Yow, Cicero Preston, 1914-1990 1
- Yow, Elizabeth Hardwicke, 1922-1992 1 ∧ less