Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 14
Scope and Contents The majority of this collection consists of correspondence between Anchram Harris Evans, a Confederate soldier during the Civil War from Brunswick County, NC, and his wife Elizabeth Kelly Evans (she is referred to as either "Bettie" or "Lizzie" in the letters), with a few letters between Anchram and his sister. Typed transcripts of the letters from their grandson, Troy Henry, in 1956 are also included.
Dates: 1861-1865, 1956; Majority of material found within 1861-1865
Scope and Contents This collection of original and photocopied items is comprised of correspondence and newspaper clippings encompassing nearly 100 years, from 1849 to 1938. Especially of note is the correspondence dating from the time of the U.S. Civil War 1861- 1865. The letters paint a poignant image of life in the confederacy.
Scope and Contents This collection contains the biographical documents, familiy histories, diaries, works of poetry, genealogical lists, and photographs of the Ashe family of North Carolina. Most of the materials in this collection consist of photocopies or typed transcripts, but it does contain original diaries, letters, and photographs.The original diaries were written by Henrietta Perkins and Sarah Anne Ashe during the late 1840s and early 1850s. Sarah's diary focused on the tragedies of travelling...
Dates: 1672-2003, undated; Majority of material found within 1852-1887
Scope and Contents The Captain Edward W. Ward Collection includes various items related to Ward's experience during the Civil War including Confederate Bond Coupons, a loan to the Confederate States and papers regarding his military service. The collection also contains newspaper articles and documents regarding settlement of debts by made by Ward.
Scope and Contents This collection consists of three civil war bank notes and illustrations from Civil War era newspapers including Harper’s History of the Great Rebellion, Harper’s Weekly, Illustrated London News and Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper. The images are listed by date, caption of the main illustration, and page numbers, when known. A Confederate Cross of Honor is also included.
Dates: 1861-1887, undated
Scope and Contents This collection consists of four pages from three 19th century newspapers and magazines including Harper's Weekly: A Journal of Civilization, Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper and The Illustrated London News. The reports covered in these pages recount various events that occurred in North Carolina during the Civil War. Subjects include an account of the revel steamer "Nashville" running the blockade at Beaufort, NC; the surrender of Fort Macon; the capture of Fort Fisher and an account of...
Dates: 1865 February-April
Scope and Contents Papers of the Dr. T. F. Wood family of Wilmington, NC. Includes Dr. Woods's Civil War recollections, correspondence, writings of Dr. Edward Jenner Wood, and genealogy of the Wood family.
Scope and Contents A copy of a rare broadside calling the North Carolina legislature into special session was issued by Gov. John W. Ellis on April 17, 1861. The session was called as a result of Abraham Lincoln's call to arms "for the invasion of the peaceful homes of the South....." Only one original is known to exist (according to the donor) from which this copy was made.
Dates: 1861 April 17 (photocopy)
Scope and Contents Thirteen xerographic copies of letters sent to James and Elizabeth Gore High of Whiteville, North Carolina are contained in this collection. The letters were sent to them by their sons Daniel Pinckney High (known as D.P. or Pink), John H. High, and William J. High during the Civil War. James High also received letters from family friends, William H. Best and William R. Richardson, both of Whiteville.
Dates: 1861-1865 (photocopies)
Scope and Contents This collection consists of a letter written by James R. Womble, a Confederate soldier, to his father, Thomas Womble. Womble was a laborer in Company A, 2nd Battalion, North Carolina Local Defense troops, of the Arsenal Guard. His letter is dated January 20, 1865. It was written from the City Courthouse of Wilmington and describes the fall of Fort Fisher.
Dates: 1865 January 20
- Subject: North Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources X
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 6
- correspondence 3
- Confederate States of America -- History 2
- Fort Fisher (N.C. : Fort) -- Capture, 1865 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Blockades 2
- United States -- Politics and government -- Sources 2
- Wilmington (N.C.) 2
- photocopies 2
- Blockade Running 1
- Confederate States of America -- History -- Sources 1
- Families -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Fear, Cape (N.C.) 1
- Fort Macon (N.C.) -- Siege, 1862 1
- Frank Leslie's illustrated newspaper 1
- Harper's Weekly: A Journal of Civilization, 1
- Illustrated London news 1
- Legislators -- North Carolina 1
- Money -- Confederate States of America 1
- North Carolina--Genealogy 1
- North Carolina--History, local 1
- Onslow County (N.C.) 1
- Pardon 1
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- Onslow County 1
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Politicians 1
- Religion 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women 1
- Yellow fever 1
- broadsides (notices) 1
- government records 1
- newspapers 1 ∧ less
- Armstrong, Edward Hall, 1841-1864 1
- Armstrong, Thomas James, 1813-1877 1
- Ashe, John Baptista, -1734 1
- Ashe, Samuel A. (Samuel A'Court), 1840-1938 1
- Ashe, Samuel, 1725-1813 1
- Ashe, William Shepperd, 1814-1862 1
- Best, William H. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 18th 1
- Ellis, John Willis, 1820-1861 1
- Graham, Stephen, 1822-1900 1
- High, Daniel Pinkney, 1843-1912 1
- High, James, 1808-1876 1
- High, John Homer 1
- High, William J., 1842-1862 1
- Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875 1
- McCarthy, Gerald, 1858-1915 1
- North Carolina. Governor (1859-1861 : Ellis) 1
- Richardson, William R., 1823-1895 1
- Womble, James R. 1
- Womble, Thomas 1
- Wood, Edward J. (Edward Jenner), 1878-1928 1
- Wood, Thomas Fanning, 1841-1892 1 ∧ less