Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents This extensive collection includes the original materials and photocopies of the legal actions instituted by Dr. Eaton and his fellow plaintiffs to compel the integration of the fundamental institutions of New Hanover County--the public schools and the hospital--in the 1960s and 1970s. Moreover, the collection also reflects the broad spectrum of Dr. Eaton's interests and activities which included medical and public health issues, education, civil rights and athletics.A gifted...
Scope and Contents The bulk of this collection contains diplomas, certificates, photographs, audiovisual materials, and memorabilia relating to the education, career, and civic activities of Dr. Leroy Upperman. Also included are diplomas and certificates related to the education and careers of Callie Smith Upperman and Leroy Upperman, Jr. Materials date from 1934 to 1996.
Abstract The Committee For A New Hospital, headed by Seymour Alper, sought to plan and construct a modern hospital and to convince voters to approve the necessary bond issue through public campaigning. After approval of the funds in November of 1961, the Committee began the process of site selection, architect selection, and obtaining approval of the blueprints. Materials in the collection include financial statements, committee records, personnel policies, and additional information pertaining to the...
- Names: Community Hospital (Wilmington, NC) X
- Civil rights movements -- United States 2
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 2
- Education -- New Hanover County (N.C.) 1
- New Hanover County (N.C.) 1
- Political 1
- James Walker Memorial Hospital 2
- American Tennis Association 1
- Eaton, Hubert A., Dr. (Hubert Arthur), 1916-1991 1
- Gibson, Althea, 1927-2003 1
- Howard University. College of Medicine 1
- Leroy W. Upperman African American Cultural Center 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington. Board of Trustees 1
- Upperman, Callie Smith, 1924-1973 1
- Upperman, Leroy W., Dr. (Leroy Wenfred), 1913-1996 1
- Upperman, Leroy Wenford, Jr., 1948, 1991 1 ∧ less