Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Scope and Contents This collection consists of photocopies of letters written by Bruce B. Cameron to his future wife, Meredith College student Lottie Fales, as well as later letters written by their son, Daniel D. Cameron, to his parents and sister during his service in WWII. The letters between Cameron and Fales illustrate life in Wilmington during the early part of the century, and provide information on the female college experience during that era. Daniel Cameron’s letters offer a soldier’s experience of the...
Dates: 1912-1914 (photocopies), 1944 (photocopies), 2002, 2005; Majority of material found within 1913-1914 (photocopies)
Abstract Cornelius (Neal) Dickinson Thomas, local artist and author, spent most of his life at his family home, Clarendon Plantation, in Brunswick county. This collection includes personal correspondence, post cards, greeting cards, photographs, documents relating to James Forte and two paintings.
Scope and Contents This collection contains papers pertaining to Joseph A. Moore’s service in the United States Navy during World War II. Moore served on the USS Uhlmann with the Fast Carrier Task Force, specifically Task Force 38 (3rd Fleet) and Task Force 58 (5th Fleet). The collected documents, directly and indirectly, reflect the daily life of a serviceman and war in the Pacific arena. Included are correspondence, certificates, photographs, collected Japanese ephemera, and ship logs documenting daily...
Scope and Contents This collection is comprised of 109 photocopies of letters from black soldiers during World War II. They were used in Dr. Phillip McGuire’s book, Taps for a Jim Crow Army, published in 1983.
Dates: 1941-1946 (photocopies), 1983; Majority of material found within 1941-1946 (photocopies)
Scope and Contents This collection contains records from The Camera Shop, a business that operated at Front and Grace Street in Wilmington, N.C. for seventy-two years. Materials include personal, business, and supply correspondence, customer and supplier invoices, advertising correspondence and invoices, job applications, property paperwork, and mail solicitations from 1942-1957. Of note in this collection is correspondence between The Camera Shop and suppliers during World War II, at which time The Camera Shop...
Scope and Contents This collection contains personal correspondence and ration paperwork from Lt. Commander David S. Harriss's service in the United States Navy from 1942-1945. The rations are for non-highway gasoline and include two gasoline ration coupons, a mileage rationing record, and a basic mileage ration coupon book. This collection also includes an Alcoholic Beverage Control Sales Permit made out to Elizabeth H. Harriss and a letter regarding a "change of duty" to David Harriss from the Bureau of Naval...
- World War, 1939-1945 5
- correspondence 5
- World War, 1939-1945 -- History -- Sources 3
- African American soldiers -- Correspondence 1
- African American veterans 1
- Artists -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Brunswick County (N.C.) 1
- Business enterprises -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Business records 1
- Families 1
- Naval battles 1
- Pamphlets 1
- Photography -- Equipment and supplies 1
- Racism -- United States -- History -- 20th century 1
- Rationing -- United States 1
- United States -- Armed Forces -- African Americans 1
- United States -- Armed Forces -- Military life 1
- United States. Army -- African American troops -- History -- Sources 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives 1
- newspapers 1
- photocopies 1
- photographs 1
- printed ephemera 1 ∧ less
- Cameron, Bruce Barclay, 1890-1944 1
- Cameron, Daniel David, 1921-2005 1
- Cameron, Lottie Fales, 1894-1960 1
- McGuire, Phillip, 1944- 1
- Moore, Joseph Alonzo, Jr., 1925-2003 1