Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Scope and Contents This collection of three articles chronicles Austin Joseph Holliday’s attempts to receive service-connected total and permanent disability from the Veterans’ Administration for an illness that occurred during World War I. The plaintiff Holliday, a black WWI veteran, based his prayer for compensation under U.S. Judicial Code, Section 145, March 3, 1887, c—359, 1, 24 Stat. 505 and the World War Veterans Act 1924 in pursuant to Part I of Veterans Regulations Number I, as amended in the Economy...
Scope and Contents Brauer's paper collection is supplemented by an earlier collection, MS 060, The Brauer Papers. This earlier collection focuses on the work of Brauer's father, Friedrich Brauer, and is a fascinating glimpse into the world of inter-war Germany and of the rise of Hitler and Fascism in Germany.This collection of Brauer papers is organized in several series. The first series to be processed focuses on Brauer's early life, from birth through the late 1940s. In addition to documenting...
Dates: 1889-1992; Majority of material found in 1920s-1950s
Scope and Contents The collection consists primarily of printed materials, pamphlets, broadsides, postcards, flyers, newspapers and other ephemera, related to the study of Germany during World War I, of the post war political and economic conditions of the Weimar Republic, and of the rise of Adolf Hitler and the National Socialist Party. Part of the collection consists of German campaign materials from the late 1920s and early 1930s. Photographs include a few of the Brauer family and one of the grave site of...
Dates: 1847-1958; Majority of material found within 1914-1933
Scope and Contents This collection contains materials pertaining to the life and military career of Harmon C. Rorison, a military officer, pilot, and banker from Wilmington, North Carolina. The bulk of the materials in this collection pertain to Rorison’s military service during World War I, the Russo-Polish War (also known as the Polish-Soviet War), and World War II. The military-related materials include correspondence, including a letter to Rorison from Merian Cooper; copies of U.S. and Polish military general...
Dates: 1819, 1900-1990
Scope and Contents This collection contains letters from John F. Schrank, who in 1912 attempted to assassinate President Theodore Roosevelt, to his doctor, Dr. Adin Sherman, during 1914-1918 when Schrank was committed to the Central State Hospital for the Criminally Insane in Waupun, Wisconsin. Schrank's letters contain his gratitude for and desire to maintain his friendship with Dr. Sherman, his commentary on World War I, and general observations and relevations on the current status of his life. A selection of...
Dates: 1913-1998; Majority of material found within 1913-1918
Scope and Contents Contains letters to and from various Poisson and Cutlar family members--including Frederick, a merchant in London, Louis, a local Wilmington real estate agent, as well as from DuBrutz Cutlar, Jr.and Sr., both Wilmington lawyers. Materials include two photographs and three invitations as well.
Dates: 1887-1918, undated
Scope and Contents This collection consists of material collected by Robert J. Cooke from various presidential elections from the late 1960s to the early 1990s, primarily at the respective Democratic Conventions. Items include copies of speeches, pamphlets, publications, press badges, ads, biographies, and campaign material. Candidates of note include Governor George C. Wallace, President Jimmy Carter, and President Bill Clinton. A selection of Cooke's research on the Rorison family of Wilmington, North Carolina...
Dates: 1967-2013, undated; Majority of material found in 1976, 1992
Scope and Contents This collection consists of thirty letters written by Sidney Gardner MacMillan to his family, one letter written by Jessie N. Worth to her Aunt Margaret MacMillan, and five photographic postcards of France. Sidney's letters provide a unique view of a soldier from Wilmington, NC who was part of the United States Army during the Battle of Marne in France and part of the US occupation of Germany near the end of World War I.MacMillan's letters to his parents and to his sister, Eleanor...
Scope and Contents This collection contains the personal papers of Wilbur D. Jones, Sr., (1892-1967), a Wilmington banker and World War I veteran, and his wife, Viola Murrell Jones (1903-1973). Materials include newspapers, biographical materials, World War I-era correspondence and memorabilia, reports cards, photographs, scrapbooks, programs, newspaper clippings, printed webpages, and realia, including two purses that belonged to Viola M. Jones. Major subjects include World War I and the Independent Order of Odd...
Dates: 1894-2002, bulk 1908-1973
Collection — Container: Deselect 1
Scope and Contents This collection contains research material collected by author Wilbur D. Jones, Jr. for his novels, including interviews, newspaper and magazine articles, photographs, author notes, correspondence with publishers, and drafts of the manuscripts.
- Subject: World War, 1914-1918 X
- World War, 1914-1918 9
- World War, 1939-1945 4
- Political 3
- World War, 1914-1918 -- History -- Sources 3
- correspondence 3
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1918-1933 -- Sources 2
- Presidents -- Election 2
- Wilmington (N.C.) 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- History -- Sources 2
- African American veterans 1
- Authors 1
- Families -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Germany -- History -- 1918-1933 1
- Nazi propaganda 1
- New Hanover County (N.C.) -- History -- Sources 1
- Presidential candidates 1
- Presidents -- Assassination attempts -- United States 1
- Psychiatric hospitals 1
- Russo-Polish War, 1919-1920 -- History -- Sources 1
- United States -- Armed Forces -- African Americans 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- United States -- Politics and government -- Sources 1
- Veterans 1
- War neuroses 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American 1
- newspapers 1
- photographs 1
- postcards 1 ∧ less
- English 9
- German 1
- Brauer, Friedrich 2
- Jones, Wilbur D., 1934- 2
- Rorison, Harmon Chadbourn, 1893-1976 2
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924- 1
- Clinton, Bill, 1946- 1
- Cutlar, DuBrutz, 1832-1898 1
- Cutlar, DuBrutz, 1866-1905 1
- Holliday, Austin Joseph, 1896-1961 1
- Jones, Viola Murrell 1
- Jones, Wilbur David, 1892-1967 1
- MacMillan family 1
- MacMillan, Cynthia Polk Rountree, 1890-1944 1
- MacMillan, Eleanor, 1882-1979 1
- MacMillan, Margaret Wright Anderson, 1848-1923 1
- MacMillan, Sidney Gardner, 1889-1967 1
- MacMillan, William Dougald, Dr., 1844-1935 1
- Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter-Partei 1
- Poisson, Frederick Cutlar, 1866-1941 1
- Poisson, Gethyn Ball Rugan, 1896-1958 1
- Poisson, Louis Julien, 1860-1891 1
- Poisson, Louis Julien, 1887-1961 1
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919 1
- Rorison, John C. (John Chadbourn), 1894-1970 1
- Schrank, John Flammang, 1876-1943 1
- United States. Army 1
- Wallace, George C. (George Corley), 1919-1998 1 ∧ less