Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Ellen Douglas Bellamy Journal
Scope and Contents This collection consists entirely of photocopies of pages from a journal or school exercise book kept by Miss Ellen Douglas Bellamy during the Civil War. Some time later, possibly in the 1870s, the journal was used as a scrapbook and printed clippings were pasted over the handwritten text. The collection includes copies of pages both before and after clippings were stripped away.The later clippings are primarily selections from popular magazines and are characteristic of...
Dates: 1861-1863 (photocopies)
The Burgwin Family Private Papers
Scope and Contents These papers are photocopied typescripts of New Hanover County, NC Deed Book and Will Book records and private letters, copied by Elizabeth McKoy of Wilmington, NC. The deed abstracts are occasionally accompanied by sketches of the area described in the deed. Some of this research material was in Elizabeth McKoy’s book, Early New Hanover County Records, published in 1973.These deeds describe land that eventually evolved into the Hermitage and Castle Haynes...
Dates: 1734-1967 (photocopies)
Wilmington, North Carolina, 1898 Coup D'état (Newspapers)
Scope and Contents This collection contains photocopies of issues of the Wilmington Daily Record, The Evening Dispatch, and fragments of the New York Journal around the time of and covering the Wilmington coup in 1898. The Journal makes explicit reference to the "riots" in Wilmington, gives the death toll as sixteen killed, and reprints the text of the Alex Manley...
Dates: 1898 (photocopies)
Wilmington, North Carolina Historic Buildings Survey
Scope and Contents The Junior League of Wilmington began a survey of Wilmington’s historic buildings in 1974. The league extracted data from courthouse records and the Sanford Insurance maps and wrote on-site descriptions. This research was the basis of "Old Wilmington Guidebook," which the Junior League published in 1978.The papers are filed in 249 folders, each folder labeled with the street name and number and, if appropriate, the name of the building or item. Folders contain some or all of the...
"Wilmington Riot of November 10, 1898" Source Documents
Scope and Contents
This collection was compiled in 1973 by Michael Glancy, to complete his Multiple Abilities Project research report entitled "The Wilmington Riot of November 10, 1898." The collection includes xerographic, microform, and photocopies of newspaper and periodical articles, letters, memoranda, resolutions, and memoirs of some of the principal participants in the November 10, 1898 racially-motivated coup d'etat of Wilmington, NC.
Dates: 1865-1936 (photocopies)
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 2
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century 2
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- Race relations 2
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 2
- African American newspaper editors 1
- African American newspapers 1
- Historic buildings -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- New Hanover County (N.C.) 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- Guidebooks 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 18th century -- Sources 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- Sources 1
- newspapers 1 ∧ less
- Bellamy, Ellen Douglas, 1852-1946 1
- Butler, Marion, 1863-1938 1
- Junior League of Wilmington 1
- Manly, Alex 1
- McKoy, Elizabeth Francenia 1