Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents The Hawk's Eye was a regular feature article in the Star News written by Carlton Rhodes, a student at Wilmington College. The article was subtitled "News of Wilmington College," and chronicled all the important events and people associated with the college at that time.
Dates: circa late 1940s-1950s
Scope and Contents This collection contains the personal papers of Wilbur D. Jones, Sr., (1892-1967), a Wilmington banker and World War I veteran, and his wife, Viola Murrell Jones (1903-1973). Materials include newspapers, biographical materials, World War I-era correspondence and memorabilia, reports cards, photographs, scrapbooks, programs, newspaper clippings, printed webpages, and realia, including two purses that belonged to Viola M. Jones. Major subjects include World War I and the Independent Order of Odd...
Dates: 1894-2002, bulk 1908-1973
Scope and Contents This collection contains photocopies of issues of the Wilmington Daily Record, The Evening Dispatch, and fragments of the New York Journal around the time of and covering the Wilmington coup in 1898. The Journal makes explicit reference to the "riots" in Wilmington, gives the death toll as sixteen killed, and reprints the text of the Alex Manley editorial...
Dates: 1898 (photocopies)
- African American newspaper editors 1
- African American newspapers 1
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- Race relations 1
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 1
- Wilmington star-news (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- History -- Sources 1
- photocopies 1 ∧ less
- Jones, Viola Murrell 1
- Jones, Wilbur D., 1934- 1
- Jones, Wilbur David, 1892-1967 1
- Manly, Alex 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington 1
- Wilmington College 1 ∧ less