Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Austin Joseph Holliday Private Papers
Scope and Contents This collection of three articles chronicles Austin Joseph Holliday’s attempts to receive service-connected total and permanent disability from the Veterans’ Administration for an illness that occurred during World War I. The plaintiff Holliday, a black WWI veteran, based his prayer for compensation under U.S. Judicial Code, Section 145, March 3, 1887, c—359, 1, 24 Stat. 505 and the World War Veterans Act 1924 in pursuant to Part I of Veterans Regulations Number I, as amended in the Economy...
Dukes Family Papers
Scope and Contents This collection contains materials pertaining to the lives, education, and military services of several members of the Dukes family, including Judson L. Dukes (1922-2004), Mary Smith Dukes (1926-1990), Dr. Judson L. Dukes, Jr. (1945-2010), and Bennie E. Dukes (1948-2001). Types of materials include correspondence, scrapbooks, photo albums, autograph books, military records, educational records, programs, certificates, photographs, slides, newspaper clippings, artwork, plaques and other types...
George Fokakis Memorabilia
Scope and Contents This collection contains letters and WWII memorabilia from George Fokakis' military service and items of personal importance, including reunion books, badges, and maps. The dates of the letters span from 1943 to 1951, during WWII and the Korean War. The letters contain correspondence mainly between George and his family during his time of service in WWII. George wrote often to his siblings: sisters Katherine and Clara, and his brother Nick. George's conversations with his sisters would...
Dates: 1943-2001, Undated
McGuire Collection of Letters from Black Soldiers
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of 109 photocopies of letters from black soldiers during World War II. They were used in Dr. Phillip McGuire’s book, Taps for a Jim Crow Army, published in 1983.
Dates: 1941-1946 (photocopies), 1983; Majority of material found within 1941-1946 (photocopies)
William Hendley Papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a framed oversized photograph and one box containing items related to the life and military service of William Hendley, a Pearl Harbor survivor. Items include two hats, a medal, a photo album, 4 framed pictures, a VHS tape, 3 DVDs, three pins, a tie, and some papers and news articles.
Dates: circa 1989 - 2017
- World War, 1939-1945 4
- African American veterans 3
- Veterans 3
- United States -- Armed Forces -- African Americans 2
- United States -- Armed Forces -- Military life 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American 2
- African American soldiers -- Correspondence 1
- Columbus County (N.C.) -- History -- Sources 1
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941 1
- Racism -- United States -- History -- 20th century 1
- Undertakers and undertaking 1
- United States. Army -- African American troops -- History -- Sources 1
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 1
- War neuroses 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives 1
- photocopies 1 ∧ less
- Dukes, Bennie Edward, 1948-2001 1
- Dukes, Judson Leon, 1922-2004 1
- Dukes, Judson Leon, Jr., Dr., 1945-2010 1
- Dukes, Mary Smith, 1926-1990 1
- Hendley, William "Bill" Martin, 1920-2019 1