Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents This collection contains the papers of Bertha Boykin Todd, a long-time New Hanover County educator and community leader. Content focuses on her work with the 1898 Centennial Foundation, biographical information and research for her memoir, "My Restless Journey," speeches and notes for events at which she spoke, recordings of her media appearances, and articles and correspondence related to her community engagement and work with the New Hanover County School system, highlighting her time as the...
Overview Dr. Heyward C. Bellamy served as Superintendant of the New Hanover County School System from 1968 to 1981, during which time he oversaw the integration of the school system. This collection contains materials relating to the integration of New Hanover County schools, including court documents and supporting exhibit materials from integration law suits, as well as other school integration and civil rights cases from the area and nationally.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
Scope and Contents This extensive collection includes the original materials and photocopies of the legal actions instituted by Dr. Eaton and his fellow plaintiffs to compel the integration of the fundamental institutions of New Hanover County--the public schools and the hospital--in the 1960s and 1970s. Moreover, the collection also reflects the broad spectrum of Dr. Eaton's interests and activities which included medical and public health issues, education, civil rights and athletics.A gifted...
- Political 2
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 2
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County -- History 1
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 1
- Educators -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Public health -- Study and teaching 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- Women educators 1 ∧ less
- Bellamy, Heyward C., Dr., 1924-2014 2
- Eaton, Hubert A., Dr. (Hubert Arthur), 1916-1991 2
- 1898 Centennial Foundation (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- American Tennis Association 1
- Cameron, George Wallace, 1873-1939 1