Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Scope and Contents This collection contains a published statement that compares expenditures in North Carolina under Republican and Democratic control for each Fiscal Year beginning 1868, ending Sept. 30, 1880.
Dates: circa 1880
Scope and Contents This collection contains the papers of Congressman Alton Lennon during his tenure as U.S. Representative for North Carolina's 7th congressional district from 1957-1972. Included in the collection is correspondence, reports, and other documents related to legislation, district affairs, and politics during the time. Also included are three large scrapbooks documenting news coverage from Congressman Lennon's career and campaigns.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of twenty scrapbook albums containing letters, documents, news articles, awards, photos, advertisements, and brochures spanning sixty-seven years. Mr. Schwartz held many local and state offices, including State Representative, State Senator, and Mayor of Wilmington. He was involved in all facets of life in New Hanover County, donating his time to numerous philanthropic and educational organizations, including as Trustee of University of North Carolina at Wilmington....
Scope and Contents This collection features papers, photographs, and memorabillia belonging to Don Betz, who served as mayor of Wilmington, North Carolina from 1987 to 1997. Betz's appointment books and correspondence from throughout his tenure, as both a city council member and later mayor, depict both his day-to-day duties and important local issues he discussed with officials and legislators at the state and national level. His campaign work, service outside the council, and involvement in local, national, and...
Scope and Contents This collection contains photocopies of some of William Bryant Cooper’s public papers. Included is a statement of his campaign expenses in 1920 and a letter and accompanying voucher for $6.00 for Cooper’s last day of service as President of the North Carolina State Senate Session of 1925. Cooper, a Democrat from New Hanover County, served as Lieutenant Governor of North Carolina from 1921-1925. As such, he presided over the State Senate for the two regular and two special sessions.
Dates: 1895-1925 (photocopies)
Scope and Contents A copy of a rare broadside calling the North Carolina legislature into special session was issued by Gov. John W. Ellis on April 17, 1861. The session was called as a result of Abraham Lincoln's call to arms "for the invasion of the peaceful homes of the South....." Only one original is known to exist (according to the donor) from which this copy was made.
Dates: 1861 April 17 (photocopy)
Scope and Contents This collections contains the legislative papers of North Carolina State Senator John J. Burney, Jr. Senator Burney represented New Hanover County from 1966-1972. The legislative papers consist primarily of correspondence, bills, publications, printed materials and newspaper clippings, covering a broad spectrum of social, economic and political issues during his time in office. Topics include taxation, environmentalism, transportation and infrastructure, Wilmington College (now UNCW), and water...
Dates: 1960 - 1972
Scope and Contents The collection includes remarks of Alton A. Lennon of North Carolina in the U.S. Senate, requesting approval for an article from The Star News to be reprinted in The Congressional Record, Saturday, August 7, 1954. The article relates the origin of a salute to our flag with hand over heart first used by Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach resident Elizabeth Cantwell. Mrs. Cantwell describes how this idea germinated and its effect on others. Also included is a brief history of her husband's career as a...
Dates: 1954, 1968, undated
- United States -- Politics and government -- Sources 7
- North Carolina -- Politics and government 6
- Legislators -- North Carolina 2
- Political Campaigns -- North Carolina 2
- Wilmington (N.C.) 2
- Expenditures, Public 1
- Flags -- United States -- History 1
- Lieutenant governors -- North Carolina -- 19th century 1
- New Hanover County (N.C.) 1
- North Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources 1
- Political 1
- Statesmen -- North Carolina -- 19th century 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Universities and colleges -- Administration 1
- broadsides (notices) 1
- correspondence 1
- flags 1
- photocopies 1 ∧ less
- Lennon, Alton, 1906-1986 2
- Betz, Donald H. (Donald Henry) 1
- Burney, John Jay, Jr., 1924-2010 1
- Cantwell, Robert Calder, 1886-1961 1
- Cooper, William Bryant , 1867-1959 1
- Democratic National Convention 1
- Democratic Party (U.S.) 1
- Ellis, John Willis, 1820-1861 1
- North Carolina General Assemby 1
- North Carolina. Governor (1859-1861 : Ellis) 1
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 1
- Schwartz, B. D. (Benjamin David), 1909-2001 1
- United States. Congress. 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington 1
- Wilmington College 1 ∧ less