Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview Dr. Heyward C. Bellamy served as Superintendant of the New Hanover County School System from 1968 to 1981, during which time he oversaw the integration of the school system. This collection contains materials relating to the integration of New Hanover County schools, including court documents and supporting exhibit materials from integration law suits, as well as other school integration and civil rights cases from the area and nationally.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
Scope and Contents This extensive collection includes the original materials and photocopies of the legal actions instituted by Dr. Eaton and his fellow plaintiffs to compel the integration of the fundamental institutions of New Hanover County--the public schools and the hospital--in the 1960s and 1970s. Moreover, the collection also reflects the broad spectrum of Dr. Eaton's interests and activities which included medical and public health issues, education, civil rights and athletics.A gifted...
Scope and Contents This collection includes minutes, memoranda, letters, photographs, and blueprints associated with the development of the University landmarks and student commons area between 1983 and 1987. The collection focuses on the Landmark Committee’s progress, documents a meeting held with the Board of Trustees, and includes negatives and blueprints of landmark designs. Much of the collection relates to the research of the Historical Events Committee, a subcommittee established by John J. Burney, Jr.,...
Dates: 1982 May 28 - 1987 December 31
- Civil rights movements -- United States 2
- Education -- New Hanover County (N.C.) 2
- Political 2
- School integration 2
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 1
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Public health -- Study and teaching 1
- Public universities and colleges 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington -- History -- Sources 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 1 ∧ less
- Bellamy, Heyward C., Dr., 1924-2014 2
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington 2
- American Tennis Association 1
- Bissette, Samuel D., 1921- 1
- Burney, John Jay, Jr., 1924-2010 1