Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents This collection contains the papers of Bertha Boykin Todd, a long-time New Hanover County educator and community leader. Content focuses on her work with the 1898 Centennial Foundation, biographical information and research for her memoir, "My Restless Journey," speeches and notes for events at which she spoke, recordings of her media appearances, and articles and correspondence related to her community engagement and work with the New Hanover County School system, highlighting her time as the...
Overview Dr. Heyward C. Bellamy served as Superintendant of the New Hanover County School System from 1968 to 1981, during which time he oversaw the integration of the school system. This collection contains materials relating to the integration of New Hanover County schools, including court documents and supporting exhibit materials from integration law suits, as well as other school integration and civil rights cases from the area and nationally.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
Scope and Contents This collection includes minutes, memoranda, letters, photographs, and blueprints associated with the development of the University landmarks and student commons area between 1983 and 1987. The collection focuses on the Landmark Committee’s progress, documents a meeting held with the Board of Trustees, and includes negatives and blueprints of landmark designs. Much of the collection relates to the research of the Historical Events Committee, a subcommittee established by John J. Burney, Jr.,...
Dates: 1982 May 28 - 1987 December 31
- Civil rights movements -- United States 2
- Education -- New Hanover County (N.C.) 2
- School integration 2
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 2
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County -- History 1
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 1
- Educators -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Political 1
- Public universities and colleges 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington -- History -- Sources 1
- Women educators 1 ∧ less
- Eaton, Hubert A., Dr. (Hubert Arthur), 1916-1991 2
- 1898 Centennial Foundation (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- Bissette, Samuel D., 1921- 1
- Burney, John Jay, Jr., 1924-2010 1
- Cameron, George Wallace, 1873-1939 1