Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview Dr. Heyward C. Bellamy served as Superintendant of the New Hanover County School System from 1968 to 1981, during which time he oversaw the integration of the school system. This collection contains materials relating to the integration of New Hanover County schools, including court documents and supporting exhibit materials from integration law suits, as well as other school integration and civil rights cases from the area and nationally.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
Scope and Contents This extensive collection includes the original materials and photocopies of the legal actions instituted by Dr. Eaton and his fellow plaintiffs to compel the integration of the fundamental institutions of New Hanover County--the public schools and the hospital--in the 1960s and 1970s. Moreover, the collection also reflects the broad spectrum of Dr. Eaton's interests and activities which included medical and public health issues, education, civil rights and athletics.A gifted...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a studio portrait of Thomas E. Cooper as a young man, two printed items, and nineteen items of correspondence. The early handwritten letters, from 1905 to 1907, are primarily from Cooper to his wife, Jane Collins, written while Cooper was working in Mullins, South Carolina. Later letters from 1925 are typewritten to his wife while Cooper was serving time in the Federal Penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia. Cooper had been charged and sentenced, along with his brother...
- Civil rights movements -- United States 2
- Political 2
- School integration 2
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 1
- Bank fraud 1
- Bankers -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Political Campaigns -- North Carolina 1
- Public health -- Study and teaching 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 1
- correspondence 1 ∧ less
- Eaton, Hubert A., Dr. (Hubert Arthur), 1916-1991 2
- American Tennis Association 1
- Bellamy, Heyward C., Dr., 1924-2014 1
- Cameron, George Wallace, 1873-1939 1
- Community Hospital (Wilmington, NC) 1