Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Scope and Contents Materials in this collection focus on Dorothy Nesbitt's service as a student, teacher, and advocate for dance and the arts, both in the Wilmington, North Carolina area and internationally, from the 1960s to the 1990s. Papers and photographs showcasing her passion for ballet and modern dance include workshop information, brochures, performance highlights, correspondence, reports, newspaper clippings, articles, and scrapbook pages. Her educational material feature content on racial integration in...
Overview Dr. Heyward C. Bellamy served as Superintendant of the New Hanover County School System from 1968 to 1981, during which time he oversaw the integration of the school system. This collection contains materials relating to the integration of New Hanover County schools, including court documents and supporting exhibit materials from integration law suits, as well as other school integration and civil rights cases from the area and nationally.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
Scope and Contents This extensive collection includes the original materials and photocopies of the legal actions instituted by Dr. Eaton and his fellow plaintiffs to compel the integration of the fundamental institutions of New Hanover County--the public schools and the hospital--in the 1960s and 1970s. Moreover, the collection also reflects the broad spectrum of Dr. Eaton's interests and activities which included medical and public health issues, education, civil rights and athletics.A gifted...
Scope and Contents This collection contains sixteen original articles from the Wilmington Morning Star and its joint Sunday edition with the Wilmington News, the Star-News (all now merged into the Wilmington Star-News), and two from Raleigh's The News and Observer, chronicling the events leading to and during the racial unrest centering around the...
Dates: 1971 February 03 - October 03
- Wilmington (N.C.) 3
- Education -- New Hanover County (N.C.) 2
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 1
- Arts 1
- Ballet dancing 1
- Dance 1
- Dance teachers 1
- Modern dance 1
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Public health -- Study and teaching 1
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 1
- Wilmington star-news (Wilmington, N.C.) 1 ∧ less
- Bellamy, Heyward C., Dr., 1924-2014 2
- Eaton, Hubert A., Dr. (Hubert Arthur), 1916-1991 2
- American Tennis Association 1
- Cameron, George Wallace, 1873-1939 1
- Chavis, Ben, 1948- 1
- Community Hospital (Wilmington, NC) 1
- Frinks, Golden Asro, 1920-2004 1
- Gibson, Althea, 1927-2003 1
- James Walker Memorial Hospital 1
- Nesbitt, Dorothy Buckeridge, 1922-2014 1
- North Carolina Good Neighbor Council 1
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington. Board of Trustees 1 ∧ less