Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Scope and Contents This collection contains the papers of Bertha Boykin Todd, a long-time New Hanover County educator and community leader. Content focuses on her work with the 1898 Centennial Foundation, biographical information and research for her memoir, "My Restless Journey," speeches and notes for events at which she spoke, recordings of her media appearances, and articles and correspondence related to her community engagement and work with the New Hanover County School system, highlighting her time as the...
Scope and Contents Will Inman is a Wilmington-born poet who spent most of his time in Tuscon, Arizona. The Collected Works of Will Inman contains papers from 1945 to 2009 that provide context to Inman's life as a poet. These papers include Inman's literary work, such as poems, short stories, novel manuscripts, literary publications, and handwritten notes. In addition, this collection includes Inman's editorial work. From the early 1960s to the early 1980s, Inman edited and distributed "Kauri." "Kauri"...
Dates: 1923 - 2009, undated
Scope and Contents Materials in this collection focus on Dorothy Nesbitt's service as a student, teacher, and advocate for dance and the arts, both in the Wilmington, North Carolina area and internationally, from the 1960s to the 1990s. Papers and photographs showcasing her passion for ballet and modern dance include workshop information, brochures, performance highlights, correspondence, reports, newspaper clippings, articles, and scrapbook pages. Her educational material feature content on racial integration in...
Overview Dr. Heyward C. Bellamy served as Superintendant of the New Hanover County School System from 1968 to 1981, during which time he oversaw the integration of the school system. This collection contains materials relating to the integration of New Hanover County schools, including court documents and supporting exhibit materials from integration law suits, as well as other school integration and civil rights cases from the area and nationally.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
Scope and Contents This extensive collection includes the original materials and photocopies of the legal actions instituted by Dr. Eaton and his fellow plaintiffs to compel the integration of the fundamental institutions of New Hanover County--the public schools and the hospital--in the 1960s and 1970s. Moreover, the collection also reflects the broad spectrum of Dr. Eaton's interests and activities which included medical and public health issues, education, civil rights and athletics.A gifted...
Scope and Contents This collection contains materials relating to the education, career, and civic activities of Dr. Leroy Upperman, including diplomas, certificates, photographs, audiovisual materials, and memorabilia. Also included are diplomas and certificates related to the education and careers of Callie Smith Upperman and Leroy Upperman, Jr. Materials date from 1934 to 1996.
Scope and Contents This collection contains political memorabilia relating to George Wallace's presidential campaigns in the 1960s and 1970s. He was the American Presidential Party nominee in 1968 and a candidate for the Democratic Party nomination in 1972, and 1976. Items include campaign buttons, an autographed pamphlet, two audio records, and a large campaign sign.
Dates: circa 1964-1976
Scope and Contents This collection contains correspondence, newspaper clippings, church programs and scrapbooks, as well as a large collection of sheet music that belonged to Mrs. Kirton. The scrapbooks in this collection highlight Father Kirton's career and other family events and the social column written by Mrs. Kirton for the Afro American newspaper.
Scope and Contents This collection contains videocassettes, framed photographs, campaign buttons, bumper stickers, autographs and other memorabilia related to the lives and political campaigns of Robert F. Kennedy, John F. Kennedy and Kathleen Kennedy Townsend. The collection also contains an autographed Pro Set Senior PGA Tour card featuring Sam Snead.
Scope and Contents This collection contains sixteen original articles from the Wilmington Morning Star and its joint Sunday edition with the Wilmington News, the Star-News (all now merged into the Wilmington Star-News), and two from Raleigh's The News and Observer, chronicling the events leading to and during the racial unrest centering around the...
Dates: 1971 February 03 - October 03
- Subject: Civil rights movements -- United States X
- Civil rights movements -- United States 9
- School integration 5
- Political 4
- Wilmington (N.C.) 4
- Education -- New Hanover County (N.C.) 3
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 2
- Arts 2
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 2
- Politicians 2
- Presidential candidates 2
- United States -- Politics and government -- Sources 2
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 2
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County -- History 1
- Artists -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Ballet dancing 1
- Chapbooks 1
- Civil rights movements -- United States -- History -- 20th century -- Sources 1
- College integration 1
- Dance 1
- Dance teachers 1
- Educators -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Experimental poetry 1
- Modern dance 1
- Music 1
- Poetry 1
- Poetry, Modern -- 20th century -- Periodicals 1
- Political campaigns 1
- Politics and literature -- United States -- History -- 20th century 1
- Public health -- Study and teaching 1
- Religion 1
- Wilmington star-news (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- Women educators 1 ∧ less
- Bellamy, Heyward C., Dr., 1924-2014 3
- Community Hospital (Wilmington, NC) 2
- Eaton, Hubert A., Dr. (Hubert Arthur), 1916-1991 2
- 1898 Centennial Foundation (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- American Tennis Association 1
- Bethell, M. Eloise 1
- Cameron, George Wallace, 1873-1939 1
- Chavis, Ben, 1948- 1
- Frinks, Golden Asro, 1920-2004 1
- Gibson, Althea, 1927-2003 1
- Howard University. College of Medicine 1
- Inman, Will, 1923-2009 1
- James Walker Memorial Hospital 1
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963 1
- Kennedy, Robert F., 1925-1968 1
- Kirton, Edwin E. , Reverend, 1907-1986 1
- Leroy W. Upperman African American Cultural Center 1
- Nesbitt, Dorothy Buckeridge, 1922-2014 1
- North Carolina Good Neighbor Council 1
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference 1
- St. Mark's Episcopal Church (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- Todd, Bertha Boykin, 1929- 1
- Townsend, Kathleen Kennedy, 1951- 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington. Board of Trustees 1
- Upperman, Callie Smith, 1924-1973 1
- Upperman, Leroy W., Dr. (Leroy Wenfred), 1913-1996 1
- Upperman, Leroy Wenford, Jr., 1948, 1991 1
- Wallace, George C. (George Corley), 1919-1998 1 ∧ less