Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Scope and Contents This collection contains records pertaining to chapter and regional events of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Alpha Psi Omega chapter. Alpha Kappa Alpha was the first intercollegiate historically African American sorority. Alpha Psi Omega, the Southeast North Carolina chapter, was chartered in 1932. Materials include event programs, souvenir booklets, newspaper clippings, invitations, magazines, posters, and a photocopy of the Alpha Psi Omega chaper charter. The bulk of the materials pertain to...
Dates: 1932, 1969-2019
Scope and Contents This collection contains the papers of Bertha Boykin Todd, a long-time New Hanover County educator and community leader. Content focuses on her work with the 1898 Centennial Foundation, biographical information and research for her memoir, "My Restless Journey," speeches and notes for events at which she spoke, recordings of her media appearances, and articles and correspondence related to her community engagement and work with the New Hanover County School system, highlighting her time as the...
Scope and Contents This collection consists of original documents, letters, financial records and printed material dealing with the establishment of free public schools in Wilmington, North Carolina after the Civil War. The correspondence details the financial support for school construction, teacher recruitment, and administration provided by the Massachusetts Soldiers Memorial Society, Mary Hemenway, Amy Bradley and the American Unitarian Association for what came to be known as Wilmington School District #2....
Scope and Contents The McDonald-Howe Family Papers encompass a rare piece of history in southeastern North Carolina, beginning in 1861 when the freedom of Frederick Howe is granted. This collection contains character references, baptismal certificates, court documents, correspondence, photographs, an autobiography, educational resumes, and an eyewitness account of the 1898 Wilmington Riot, along with other family documents.
- Education -- New Hanover County (N.C.) 2
- New Hanover County (N.C.) -- History -- Sources 2
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 2
- African Americans -- Genealogy 1
- Civil rights movements -- United States 1
- College sorority members 1
- Educators -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Families -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- North Carolina 1
- School integration 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Women educators 1
- correspondence 1 ∧ less
- 1898 Centennial Foundation (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority 1
- Bellamy, Heyward C., Dr., 1924-2014 1
- Bradley, Amy Morris, 1823-1904 1
- Cotton, Nada McDonald, 1895-1977 1