Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents This collection contains the papers of Bertha Boykin Todd, a long-time New Hanover County educator and community leader. Content focuses on her work with the 1898 Centennial Foundation, biographical information and research for her memoir, "My Restless Journey," speeches and notes for events at which she spoke, recordings of her media appearances, and articles and correspondence related to her community engagement and work with the New Hanover County School system, highlighting her time as...
Scope and Contents This collection consists of original documents, letters, financial records and printed material dealing with the establishment of free public schools in Wilmington, North Carolina after the Civil War. The correspondence details the financial support for school construction, teacher recruitment, and administration provided by the Massachusetts Soldiers Memorial Society, Mary Hemenway, Amy Bradley and the American Unitarian Association for what came to be known as Wilmington School District...
Scope and Contents The McDonald-Howe Family Papers contains materials pertaining to the Alfred Howe family and the children of his daughter, Rebecca Howe McDonald. Included are documents pertaining to the life of Alfred Howe, who was the son of Anthony Walker, a formerly enslaved person, and his wife, Tenah Howe, a member of the Tuscarora. Howe was born in Wilmington, North Carolina and became a successful builder, in addition to holding a number of elected positions. Additional materials in the...
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 2
- African Americans -- Genealogy 1
- Civil rights movements -- United States 1
- Educators -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Families -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- New Hanover County (N.C.) -- History -- Sources 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- North Carolina 1
- School integration 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Women educators 1
- correspondence 1 ∧ less
- 1898 Centennial Foundation (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- Bellamy, Heyward C., Dr., 1924-2014 1
- Bradley, Amy Morris, 1823-1904 1
- Cotton, Nada McDonald, 1895-1977 1
- Hemenway, Mary, 1820-1894 1