Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Scope and Contents This collection contains the papers of Bertha Boykin Todd, a long-time New Hanover County educator and community leader. It includes her biographical information and research, VHS tapes of her media appearances and recordings, newspaper articles about Todd or related to her work and community efforts, a North Carolina governor poster, speeches and related notes, and material related to her community and school involvement over the years--highlighting Williston (as the first and last librarian),...
Scope and Contents This collection consists of original documents, letters, financial records and printed material dealing with the establishment of free public schools in Wilmington, North Carolina after the Civil War. The correspondence details the financial support for school construction, teacher recruitment, and administration provided by the Massachusetts Soldiers Memorial Society, Mary Hemenway, Amy Bradley and the American Unitarian Association for what came to be known as Wilmington School District #2....
Overview Dr. Heyward C. Bellamy served as Superintendant of the New Hanover County School System from 1968 to 1981, during which time he oversaw the integration of the school system. This collection contains materials relating to the integration of New Hanover County schools, including court documents and supporting exhibit materials from integration law suits, as well as other school integration and civil rights cases from the area and nationally.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
Scope and Contents This extensive collection includes the original materials and photocopies of the legal actions instituted by Dr. Eaton and his fellow plaintiffs to compel the integration of the fundamental institutions of New Hanover County--the public schools and the hospital--in the 1960s and 1970s. Moreover, the collection also reflects the broad spectrum of Dr. Eaton's interests and activities which included medical and public health issues, education, civil rights and athletics.A gifted...
Scope and Contents Dr. William H. Wagoner served as the Superintendent of the New Hanover county school system from 1961-1968, as the fourth President of Wilmington College from 1968-1969 and as the first Chancellor of the University of North Carolina Wilmington from 1969-1990. This collection contains correspondence, publications, newspaper clippings, agendas, photographs, maps and ephemera related to the careers of Dr. Wagoner in Wilmington as well as his personal life.
Abstract This collection contains the personal papers of Thomas T. Hamilton, first President of Wilmington College and long time Principal of New Hanover High School. With inclusive dates of 1948-1989, the collection includes Hamilton's curriculum vitae, newspaper articles, photographs, a letter, and a typed report. These papers focus on Hamilton's career change in 1949 and his involvement with Wilmington College.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a studio portrait of Thomas E. Cooper as a young man, two printed items, and nineteen items of correspondence. The early handwritten letters, from 1905 to 1907, are primarily from Cooper to his wife, Jane Collins, written while Cooper was working in Mullins, South Carolina. Later letters from 1925 are typewritten to his wife while Cooper was serving time in the Federal Penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia. Cooper had been charged and sentenced, along with his brother...
- School integration 3
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County -- History 2
- Civil rights movements -- United States 2
- Political 2
- Universities and colleges -- Administration 2
- Wilmington (N.C.) 2
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 2
- correspondence 2
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 1
- Bank fraud 1
- Bankers -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Education, Secondary 1
- Educators -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Kenan House 1
- New Hanover County (N.C.) -- History -- Sources 1
- Physicians -- North Carolina -- Wilmington 1
- Political Campaigns -- North Carolina 1
- Public health -- Study and teaching 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- North Carolina 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) -- History -- 20th century 1 ∧ less
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington 3
- Eaton, Hubert A., Dr. (Hubert Arthur), 1916-1991 2
- Wilmington College 2
- 1898 Centennial Foundation (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- American Tennis Association 1
- Bellamy, Heyward C., Dr., 1924-2014 1
- Bradley, Amy Morris, 1823-1904 1
- Cameron, George Wallace, 1873-1939 1
- Community Hospital (Wilmington, NC) 1
- Cooper, Thomas E., 1883-1949 1
- Gibson, Althea, 1927-2003 1
- Hamilton, Thomas T. (Thomas Tristam), 1900- 1
- Hemenway, Mary, 1820-1894 1
- James Walker Memorial Hospital 1
- Learning Institute of North Carolina 1
- New Hanover High School (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- North Carolina Advancement School 1
- North Carolina Education Association 1
- North Carolina. Governor (1925-1929 : McLean) 1
- Todd, Bertha Boykin, 1929- 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington. Board of Trustees 1
- Wagoner, William H., 1927-1999 1 ∧ less