Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview Dr. Heyward C. Bellamy served as Superintendant of the New Hanover County School System from 1968 to 1981, during which time he oversaw the integration of the school system. This collection contains materials relating to the integration of New Hanover County schools, including court documents and supporting exhibit materials from integration law suits, as well as other school integration and civil rights cases from the area and nationally.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
Scope and Contents This collection includes minutes, memoranda, letters, photographs, and blueprints associated with the development of the University landmarks and student commons area between 1983 and 1987. The collection focuses on the Landmark Committee’s progress, documents a meeting held with the Board of Trustees, and includes negatives and blueprints of landmark designs. Much of the collection relates to the research of the Historical Events Committee, a subcommittee established by John J. Burney, Jr.,...
Dates: 1982 May 28 - 1987 December 31
Scope and Contents This collection contains sixteen original articles from the Wilmington Morning Star and its joint Sunday edition with the Wilmington News, the Star-News (all now merged into the Wilmington Star-News), and two from Raleigh's The News and Observer, chronicling the events leading to and during the racial unrest centering around the...
Dates: 1971 February 03 - October 03
- Civil rights movements -- United States 2
- Political 2
- School integration 2
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 1
- Education -- New Hanover County (N.C.) 1
- Public universities and colleges 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington -- History -- Sources 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 1
- Wilmington star-news (Wilmington, N.C.) 1 ∧ less
- Eaton, Hubert A., Dr. (Hubert Arthur), 1916-1991 2
- Bissette, Samuel D., 1921- 1
- Burney, John Jay, Jr., 1924-2010 1
- Cameron, George Wallace, 1873-1939 1
- Chavis, Ben, 1948- 1