Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents This collection contains letters and WWII memorabilia from George Fokakis' military service and items of personal importance, including reunion books, badges, and maps. The dates of the letters span from 1943 to 1951, during WWII and the Korean War. The letters contain correspondence mainly between George and his family during his time of service in WWII. George wrote often to his siblings: sisters Katherine and Clara, and his brother Nick. George's conversations with his sisters would...
Dates: 1943-2001, Undated
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of 109 photocopies of letters from black soldiers during World War II. They were used in Dr. Phillip McGuire’s book, Taps for a Jim Crow Army, published in 1983.
Dates: 1941-1946 (photocopies), 1983; Majority of material found within 1941-1946 (photocopies)
Scope and Contents This collection contains papers and audiovisual materials relating to Stanley Rehder's World War II experience and work as a Venus flytrap enthusiast. The World War II series of this collection includes newspaper clippings and research pertaining to the 1944 Christmas Eve sinking of the S.S. Leopoldville. Rehder was a lieutenant aboard the ship at the time, and this collection includes the writings Rehder created to memorialize the event as well as documents of Rehder's veteran organization....
- World War, 1939-1945 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives 2
- African American soldiers -- Correspondence 1
- African American veterans 1
- Botany--North Carolina--New Hanover County 1
- Carnivorous plants 1
- Racism -- United States -- History -- 20th century 1
- United States -- Armed Forces -- African Americans 1
- United States. Army -- African American troops -- History -- Sources 1
- Venus's flytrap 1
- Veterans 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, African American 1
- photocopies 1 ∧ less
- McGuire, Phillip, 1944- 1
- Rehder, Jessie 1
- Rehder, Stanley (George Stanley), 1922-2012 1
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 66th 1