Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Bertha Boykin Todd Papers
Scope and Contents This collection contains the papers of Bertha Boykin Todd, a long-time New Hanover County educator and community leader. Content focuses on her work with the 1898 Centennial Foundation, biographical information and research for her memoir, "My Restless Journey," speeches and notes for events at which she spoke, recordings of her media appearances, and articles and correspondence related to her community engagement and work with the New Hanover County School system, highlighting her time as...
Dr. Heyward C. Bellamy Collection
Dr. Heyward C. Bellamy served as Superintendant of the New Hanover County School System from 1968 to 1981, during which time he oversaw the integration of public schools. This collection contains materials relating to the integration of New Hanover County schools, including court documents and supporting exhibit materials from integration law suits, as well as other school integration and civil rights cases from the area and nationally.
Dates: 1916 - 1991
University of North Carolina Wilmington Landmark Committee Records
Scope and Contents This collection contains the records of the University of North Carolina Wilmington's Landmark Committee and Historical Events Committee, both of which were convened at the request of the University's Board of Trustees to complete work for a project associated with the University Commons site. The Landmark Committee was tasked with identifying an appropriate landmark to place in the University Commons outdoor space in companionship with its landscaping plan. Once the Landmark Committee's...
Wilmington Movement 1971
Scope and Contents This collection contains sixteen original articles from the Wilmington Morning Star and its joint Sunday edition with the Wilmington News, the Star-News (all now merged into the Wilmington Star-News), and two from Raleigh's The News and Observer, chronicling the events leading to and during the racial unrest centering around the...
Dates: 1971 February 03 - October 03
- Civil rights movements -- United States 3
- School integration 3
- Education -- New Hanover County (N.C.) 2
- Political 2
- Wilmington Massacre, Wilmington, N.C., 1898 2
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County -- History 1
- African Americans -- North Carolina -- Wilmington -- History 1
- Educators -- North Carolina -- New Hanover County 1
- Monuments 1
- Public universities and colleges 1
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington -- History -- Sources 1
- Wilmington (N.C.) 1
- Wilmington Ten 1
- Wilmington star-news (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- Women educators 1 ∧ less
- 1898 Centennial Foundation (Wilmington, N.C.) 1
- Bissette, Samuel D., 1921-2005 1
- Burney, John Jay, Jr., 1924-2010 1
- Cameron, George Wallace, 1873-1939 1
- Chavis, Ben, 1948- 1