Dr. William H. Wagoner Collection
Scope and Contents
Dr. William H. Wagoner served as the Superintendent of the New Hanover county school system from 1961-1968, as the fourth President of Wilmington College from 1968-1969 and as the first Chancellor of the University of North Carolina Wilmington from 1969-1990. This collection contains correspondence, publications, newspaper clippings, agendas, photographs, maps and ephemera related to the careers of Dr. Wagoner in Wilmington as well as his personal life.
- Creation: 1959-1990
- Wagoner, William H., 1927-1999 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Copyright retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
William H. Wagoner was born in 1927 and grew up in Washington, North Carolina. He earned a Bachelors in Science from Wake Forest College in 1949, a Master of Arts from East Carolina University in 1953 and a Ph.D from the University of North Carolina in Education Administration and Political Science in 1959. Wagoner began his career as a high school chemistry, physics and public speaking teacher in Washington and worked in Elizabeth City public schools administration as Superintendent. In 1961, he became Superintendent of the New Hanover County school system. It is during this time, that he was was asked to become a part-time faculty member for Wilmington College, beginning a long tenure with the University. After the retirement of William Randall, Wagoner was elected President of Wilmington College. During his first year as president, the college was involved in negotiations to move into the consolidated University of North Carolina and ultimately joined in 1969. Wagoner was then elected Chancellor of the University of North Carolina system at Wilmington. Under his leadership, the basic organizational structure of the University was established with the formation of the Cameron School of Business, School of Education, College of Arts and Sciences, School of Nursing and the Graduate school. UNCW's marine science program and cooperative Ph.D with NC State University was also begun under Wagoner's direction. During Wagoner's tenure, the campus grew tremendously to include such major structures as Trask Coliseum, Randall Library, the University Union and several residence halls. He also set the tone for conservation of environmentally sensitive portions of campus, reserving ten acres for the Bleuthenthal Wildflower Preserve. Wagoner and his family lived in Kenan House (donated to the University in 1969) throughout his career at UNCW. After his retirement in 1990, a road in front of campus and the maining dining hall were named in his honor.
22.17 Linear feet (Contains 46 document boxes, 2 bankers boxes and 3 oversized boxes.)
Language of Materials
This collection was donated by Dr. William Wagoner.
Processed by Colleen Griffiths in March, 2010 and revised by Kate Edwards in Spring, 2014. Finding aid revised and updated for conversion to Archon by Rebecca Baugnon and Kate Edwards in Spring, 2014.
- Dr. William H. Wagoner Collection
- Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note