Skip to main content

Thomas Smith Land Grant

 Collection
Identifier: SC-MS-007

Scope and Contents

Photocopy of 1688 deed for Oyster Poynt in Charlestowne, Carolina. In the winter of 1688, Thomas Smith purchased a six acre plot of land in Charlestowne, Carolina known as Oyster Point. Smith's grant was an ornately decorated, well delineated description, containing three major areas of information: a sketch of the location showing bounding lots; a surveyor's report; and a formal statement from the Lords Proprietors of the Province of Carolina.

In the upper left corner of the grant – this photocopy measures 59 cm by 60 cm – is sketched the area involved in this sale. Below this and centered on the deed is Ste. Z. Bull’s report of this survey of Oyster Poynt, which was bounded by Ashley River, Cooper River, and the “lotts” of Robert Collins and Mrs. Mary Benson. Bull begins his report by noting that on November 10, 1688, James Colleton requested this survey. Bull signs this report “performed this present 12 day of November Anno Dom 1688.”

The bottom third of the grant, and extending to both margins, is the formal statement or grant of the land to Thomas Smith by the Lord’s Proprietors, of whom James Colleton was a trustee. It begins with a list of the Proprietors: William, Earle of Craven and Pallatine (this first name written in oversized letter); Christepher, Duke of Albermarle; Anthony Lord Ashley; George Lord Claverell; Sir Peter Colleton; Baronett Seth Sothel; Thomas Archdale; and Thomas Amy, Esquire. These were the favored nobles of Charles II of England, to whom he granted Carolina in 1663.

The grant then states “…wee the said Pallatine & Lords Proprietors for the consideration of Six Shillings of lawful money of England to us in hand paid before the sealing and delivery of this our Grant have bargained…and sell over to Thomas Smith Esqr…the Oyster Poynt…” The grant provides Smith, his heirs and assigns the privilege of hawking, hunting and fishing forever, the woods, trees and whatever else was growing there, except all mines, minerals and all quarries of semi and precious stones. A further term required Smith to pay the Lords, their heirs and assigns, “on every nine and twentieth day of September ensuing the date here of, one Ear of Indiancorne when lawfully demanded.” This grant was “Given at Charles Towne in Berkley County” on December 18, 1688.

Noted also on this paper is “Registered at Charlestowne on the 27th day of Xber Anno Dom 1693 by me Jonathan Amory Depty Regr.” Running along the bottom of the grant are three signatures – Paull Grimball, James Coleton (spelled with two els in both the surveyor’s report and the grant), and John Buresford. The three remaining edges are decorated with a tree of life motif incorporating berries and blossoms.

Dates

  • Creation: 1688-1693

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research use.

Copyright Statement

Copyright retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Extent

1.00 Folder (Contains 1 folder)

Language of Materials

English

Acquisition Information

Method and date of acquisition unknown.

Title
Thomas Smith Land Grant
Status
Completed
Author
Judith H. Davis
Date
1976
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Randall Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:

910-962-7810