Elizabeth Catharine DeRosset Land Deed
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the Deeds of Lease and Release for 960 acres of land originally sold by John Watts to Edward Bridgen and later by Edward Bridgen to his sister, Elizabeth Catharine DeRosset. The land was located near near New Topsail sound and Barren inlet, bordering land owned by Job Howes.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Copyright retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Elizabeth Catharine Bridgen DeRosset was a native of Bristol, England and daughter of Samuel Bridgen. She was the second wife of Dr. Armand John DeRosset (1695-1766), marrying in 1751. After her husband’s death, Mrs. DeRosset lived at “Chinese Temple” (most likely an alternative name for her husband’s plantation, Cedar Grove) which was located next door to the Hermitage, owned by John Burgwin. She also purchased her father’s land, a plantation known as Ludlow Castle (also referred to as Royal Oak Point, Bridgen’s Pastime and Bridgen’s Hall) from her brother, Edward Bridgen. She died at her summer home near Masonboro of fever in 1778.
1 Folder (Contains 1 oversize folder)
This collection was purchased from Broadfoot Publishing Company on June 24, 1998.
- Elizabeth Catharine DeRosset Land Deed
- Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note