Skip to main content

University of North Carolina Wilmington Business Affairs Records

 Record Group
Identifier: UA-RG-09

Scope and Contents

The University of North Carolina Wilmington Business Affairs Records consist of administrative records that document the growth, maintenance, operations, and financial administration of the university. The record group also contains information from Computer and Information Services, a department that originated as Academic Computing Services under Academic Affairs. Collection highlights are building dedication programs, financial reports, annual reports, newsletters, campus dining brochures, parking maps, public safety information, and long-range plans. The record group also has correspondence from Vice-Chancellors of Business Affairs and other administrators. Wilmington College moved to the campus on College Road in 1961, having previously used secondary school buildings in downtown Wilmington. In 1961, the school had just three buildings. Since joining the University of North Carolina System of public higher education in 1969, the school has greatly expanded campus facilities, adding numerous buildings to the main and Myrtle Grove campuses.


  • Creation: 1948-2022


Conditions Governing Access

There are no access restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

The content described is copyrighted and presented courtesy of the University of North Carolina Wilmington Randall Library. This material may be used for educational and scholarship purposes provided: a) proper attribution accompanies any use of the content; b) the use, copy, republication, display, and/or distribution is not for commercial purposes; and c) you may not alter, add to, change, modify, or revise the subject content.

Biographical / Historical

Wilmington College opened in 1947, under the authority of the New Hanover County Board of Education. Financial support came from a county-wide tax levy voted by the citizens in addition to tuition fees. The principal of New Hanover High School, Thomas T. Hamilton, simultaneously served as first college president. New Hanover High School was the first location of Wilmington College. In 1948, Wilmington College acquired space for administrative offices, classrooms, laboratories, and a library in the Isaac Bear building, a former elementary school. Dr. William Madison Randall, dean 1952-1958 then President 1958-1969, had the goal of expanding the institution into a major player in higher education. The first step was to obtain land where Wilmington College could have an expanded campus.

Wilmington College moved to a new campus on College Road in 1961 and became a four-year liberal arts school. It then became part of the University of North Carolina Sytem in 1969. Throughout the 1960s, Dr. Randall and the Board of Trustees worked to meet requirements to become a branch of UNC. An important piece of campus development was the growth in the number of buildings.

Business Manager: James A. Price 1968-1972 The title changed to: Vice Chancellor of Business Affairs: James A. Price 1972


20 Linear Feet (16 records center boxes and 16 oversize folders)

Language of Materials



This collection is arranged in three topical series: I. Wilmington College, arranged topically and then alphabetically, II. University of North Carolina Wilmington, arranged topically by departments of the division, and III. Oversize, arranged topically.

University of North Carolina Wilmington Business Affairs Records
Adina Riggins and Nina Herzog
2024 January
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository