Skip to main content

Construction of new church, 1837-1840

 File — Multiple Containers

Scope and Contents

Contains correspondence, financial information, and supply needs related to the construction of the new church building, which was deemed necessary in 1837 given the poor state of the original 1770 church. It also contains the original document proclaiming the cornerstone of the new church building was laid in 1839, as well as the original document stating the new church was consecrated in 1840. Typescripts and a photocopy of the document are also included.

Dates

  • Creation: 1837-1840

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Access to portions of this collection have been restricted by Special Collections in order to preserve the original materials and pursuant to extant statutory restrictions. Contact staff at the Center for Southeast North Carolina Archives and History (csencah@uncw.edu) for information on access to this collection.

Extent

From the Collection: 51 Containers (Contains 16 bankers boxes, 8 document boxes, 5 oversize boxes, 4 photo albums, 5 tube boxes, 7 card file boxes, and 6 flat files)

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Separated Materials

The original cornerstone document and its photocopies are oversize and have been separated to Box 26, Folder 3.

Repository Details

Part of the Randall Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:

910-962-7810