Wilmington College. Board of Trustees
- Existence: 1958 - 1969-
The Wilmington College Board of Trustees existed from 1958-1969. Then, from 1970-1971, a 100-member Board of Trustees of the Consolidated University of North Carolina governed the campus.Later, the University of North Carolina Wilmington Board of Trustees began operation in 1972.
In 1958, the citizens of New Hanover County voted to place Wilmington College under the Community College Act of North Carolina (HB 761). This referendum gave Wilmington College entry to the state higher education system, requiring the creation of new college board of 12 trustees. Governance was transferred from the county education board to a new board of trustees. North Carolina Governor Luther Hodges appointed four trustees; the New Hanover County Board of Education named four trustees including school board chair John Thomas Hoggard; the Wilmington City Council appointed two trustees; and the New Hanover County Commission appointed two members.
Appointment terms were six years. Requirements for admission and graduation as well as general academic standards came under the supervision of the North Carolina Board of Higher Education. Wilmington College began to receive an appropriation from the state for operating expenses in addition to the local tax.
The first meeting of the Wilmington College Board of Trustees was March 24, 1958. One of its first motions was to elect Dean William M. Randall president of the college, succeeding Hoggard, who had been college president since 1949. Hoggard became first chair of the new the Wilmington College Board of Trustees while remaining on the county education board. The Board of Trustees oversaw the college until 1969, when Wilmington College and Asheville-Biltmore College became the fifth and sixth campuses respectively to join the multi-campus Consolidated University of North Carolina. Governance for the re-named and newly elevated University of North Carolina Wilmington went to the 100-member Board of Trustees of the Consolidated University of North Carolina, and the original board was dissolved. In 1972, the University of North Carolina Board of Governors replaced the Consolidated UNC Board of Trustees. Individual boards of Trustees were reestablished at constituent institutions, including UNC Wilmington.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
This record group includes information by and about the Board of Trustees at the University of North Carolina Wilmington from 1958 to the present. Files include official, signed meeting minutes, committee meeting minutes, subject files,correspondence, clippings, membership rosters, and photographs.