Skip to main content

William Madison Randall Library

 Organization

Historical Note

Wilmington College began as an evening program based in New Hanover High School. During the 1950s, the college used the Isaac Bear Building on 13th and Market Streets for administrative offices, classrooms, labs, and a library. In 1961, the college got its own campus on Highway 132, and the library went into the Administrative Building (Alderman Hall).

In 1965, the North Carolina General Assembly approved funding for a new library building. This expansion was needed to meet the requirements for a four-year college. Named for the college's third president, William Madison Randall, it opened in 1969.

In 1987, the library completed an addition toward the center of campus, more than doubling its original size of 70,000 square feet. With the new construction came an integrated library system, making the card catalog obsolete. Over 300,000 volumes were moved as part of this renovation.

In 2010, Randall Library and the university's Technology Assistance Center established the Learning Commons, an enlarged footprint of learning spaces, technologies, and tools designed to support student success.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Library Collection

 Collection
Identifier: UA-RG-11
Scope and Contents The Library Collection has records pertinent to the administrative history of the academic library of the University of North Carolina Wilmington since the school's founding. There are two series in this collection.Series 01, Wilmington College, has materials from 1947-1969. Included are accession books, annual reports, committee records, circulation statistical reports, gift records, newsletters, self-study reports, architectural blueprints, and photographs. The handwritten...
Dates: 1947-2019