Skip to main content

St. Andrew's Covenant Presbyterian Church Collection

 Collection
Identifier: SC-MS-180
This collection includes historical data on St. Andrews Covenant Presbyterian Church, beginning in 1818 with the First Presbyterian Church in Wilmington, and continuing through the founding of the Second Presbyterian Church in 1858, renamed St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in 1888, the establishment of the Church of the Covenant in 1917, and the 1944 merging of St. Andrews Presbyterian and the Church of the Covenant. Ranging from 1858 through 2009 this collection includes original ledgers, minutes, correspondence, church records, programs, pamphlets, booklets, books, photographs, news articles, and promotional papers which chronicle the growth and history of St. Andrews Covenant Presbyterian Church in Wilmington, New Hanover County, North Carolina. Of importance in this collection are the merger papers, the 150th anniversary documents, Women of the Church documents, and a collection of weekly worship programs dated from 1947 through 1985.

Dates

  • 1858-2009

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research use.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Extent

31.00 boxes (This collection contains 28 document boxes and 2 bankers boxes.)

Abstract

St. Andrews Covenant Presbyterian Church is located in Wilmington, North Carolina. The church was formed by the merging of two congregations in 1944, St. Andrews Presbyterian and The Church of the Covenant. This collection includes histocial and financial data on the church, its leaders, members and organizations.

Biographical or Historical Information

First Presbyterian Church was established in 1817. A spiritual revival in 1858 led to the establishment of the Second Presbyterian Church which was moved in 1888 to a new location purchased with help of the Sprunt family. The Sprunts were charter members of the Second Presbyterian Church and founders of Sprunt and Son, a cotton exporting business in Wilmington, North Carolina. The Church changed its name at this time to St. Andrews Presbyterian Church. The previous building was sold to an African American congregation. Reverend Mclure served as pastor from 1891 until his death in 1920. In 1906 an organ built by Henry Pilcher was installed and in 1910 an addition was added to the church with financial help from the Sprunt family. The Church of the Covenant was established in 1918 to provide a church for Presbyterians who lived further away from the downtown area, much of the financial backing coming from the Sprunt family who also donated money for a manse to be built for the church minister. An initial donation in 1920 by Mrs. Jessie Kenan Wise allowed the church to add a Sunday School building, which was expanded in 1928. The Church of the Covenant and St. Andrews Presbyterian Church existed separately until 1944 when they merged to form St. Andrews Covenant Presbyterian Church at the previous site of the Church of the Covenant.

Source of Acquisition

Donated by St. Andrews Covenant Presbyterian Church on February 19, 2001.

Accruals and Additions

An addition of material relating to the 150th anniversary celebration was made on November 1, 2012.

Processing Information

This collection was originally processed by Carroll R. Jones in 2001. Collection and additions were reprocessed by Lauren Love in Summer 2014. Finding aid revised and updated for conversion to Archon in Summer 2014.
Title
St. Andrew's Covenant Presbyterian Church Collection
Status
completed
Author
Special Collections Staff
Date
2014
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Revision Statements

  • 2017 August 21: Finding aid revised for conversion to ArchivesSpace by Rebecca Baugnon.

Repository Details

Part of the Randall Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:

910-962-7462